This is an opportunity to put a footprint on the company and use your creative designing and leadership skills to develop a product that is superior in the market. Our client is continually working on developing new products and modifying existing designs. This person will direct and coordinate the activities of the drafting and engineering departments to design, manufacture, test components, products and systems, improve production techniques and develop test procedures.
Title: Drafting and Engineering Director
Reports To: General Manager
In their nearly 23 years of operation, our client’s standards, practices and products have expanded and evolved due to their strong work ethic and commitment to producing the highest quality products available in the market. They have developed client loyalty by providing fine custom cabinetry, unique designs, exceptional craftsmanship and superior quality. This is a privately owned business that respects and embraces uniqueness, independence and an entrepreneurial spirit.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Resolves problems using solutions that involve new techniques, technologies, or concepts. Analyzes technology trends, human resource needs and market demand to plan projects.
- Confers with management, production and marketing staff to determine engineering feasibility, cost effectiveness and customer demand for new and existing products.
- Forecasts operating costs of department and directs preparation of budget requests.
- Advises management of new developments which may affect profit, schedule, costs, customer relations and/or inter-departmental relations.
- Provides direction and example for interpretation and application of company policies and procedures to the engineering activities.
- Maintains a working knowledge of new technologies which may improve operations and develops recommendations accordingly.
- Maintains a working knowledge of safety policies and regulations to ensure duties of self and others are performed in a safe manor.
- Must be a Cabinet Vision expert, as well as able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs work flows and procedures.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Technical Skills – Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Shares expertise with others.
- Interpersonal Skills – Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things.
- Visionary Leadership – Displays passion and optimism; Inspires respect and trust; Mobilizes others to fulfill the vision; Provides vision and inspiration to peers and subordinates.
- Change Management – Develops workable implementation plans; Communicates changes effectively; Builds commitment and overcomes resistance; Prepares and supports those affected by change; Monitors transition and evaluates results.
- Leadership – Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well; Effectively influences actions and opinions of others; Accepts feedback from others; Gives appropriate recognition to others.
- Managing People – Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; Takes responsibility for subordinates’ activities; Makes self available to staff; Approachable; Provides regular performance feedback; Develops subordinates’ skills and encourages growth; Solicits and applies customer feedback (internal & external); Fosters quality focus in others; Improves processes, products and services; Continually works to improve supervisory skills.
- Quality Management – Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Cabinet Vision proficient.
- Company information system applications, Insight, 20-20 Technologies, AutoCAD.
- Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Outlook.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Self-starter with the ability to drive for results.
- Strong, clear and concise communication skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university; or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.